Connect with us


Do Nurses Need Indemnity Insurance?



The Nursing and Midwifery Council has made it a  requirement for Registered Nurses to hold indemnity insurance.

The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) made it a revalidation and registration requirement in 2015 to hold indemnity insurance to cover your practice. This cover is designed to offer legal assistance should you action or omissions be called into question.

Thankfully, both Unison and The Royal College of Nursing offer indemnity insurance to its members but you should contact them to clarify if you are covered.

Below is some general advise on if you should need separate indemnity insurance to practice. For specific advise on the need for indemnity insurance you should speak to your employer, union or legal advisor. 

Are you employed?

If you are employed by either the NHS or a private organisation, you should not need a separate indemnity scheme.  Your employer holds vicarious liability (is responsible) for your actions and omissions and is required to provide appropriate cover for you.

Student Nurses

Student Nurses are covered for indemnity by both their university and placement area and usually practice under the instruction of a Registered Nurse.

Self-Employed Nurses

If you are self-employed and working for your own company or through an umbrella company then you may need separate indemnity cover. You should speak to your union or an independent legal advisor.

Agency Nurses

‘Bank’ working such NHS Professionals or overtime at your local trust will be covered under their vicarious liability provision.

If you are working for a private agency you should check to see if they offer indemnity insurance.You should ask for a copy of the indemnity insurance policy to view inclusion and exclusion criteria. 

Voluntary Work

Your Union should provide cover for volunteering work or when acting as a good Samaritan. You should ask for a copy of the indemnity insurance policy to view inclusion and exclusion criteria. 

Continue Reading
Join the discussion...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


NMC says Nurses must accept concerns about their practice



Legislative changes designed to speed up fitness-to-practice (FtP) cases will only work if Nurses accept concerns about their practice.

Controversial changes including a new measure that will allow the Nursing and Midwifery Council to issue ‘public warnings’ against registrants who have breached professional standards came into force this week, be able to offer informal advise to Nurses for less severe cases and agree restrictions on practice with registrants directly.

The reforms will enable case examiners to resolve issues earlier on in the FtP process and will mean the NMC will only have to take the most serious cases to a full hearing but the NMC boss says this can only happen in Nurses accept concerns about their practice earlier in the process.

This years financial report shows noted a significantly higher spending on fitness to practices cases and part of the new process is to minimise this spending.

Several concerns have been raised that the new system may result in over-use of warnings and the fact they may disadvantage staff when applying for employment.

Continue Reading


NMC Chief gets £20,000 pay rise to bring pay into “alignment”




Jackie Smith, the chief executive and registrar of the Nursing and Midwifery Council received a £20,000 pay rise this year.

The Nursing and Midwifery Councils financial reports reveal that its CEO and Registrar, Jackie Smith, received a pay rise of around £20,000 bringing her total basic salary to £192,850 for 2016-2017.

However, Ms Smith final remuneration is expected to be significantly more due to pension benefits and annual leave reimbursements.

In a report from the NMC, the regulator said the pay increase for its chief executive followed a review of its senior salary structure.

The report, which is created by the NMC’s remuneration committee, compares the pay of its own executives with those in similar roles.

In total, the NMC’s executive team was paid £1.2m in 2016-2017.

The report went on to state that the NMC has maintained financial stability and noted a significantly higher spending on fitness to practices cases.

Continue Reading