Connect with us

Primary Care

Hospitals told to ‘prepare for a further incident’ by NHS England

Published

on

NHS England has told NHS Hospitals and Major Trauma Centres to prepare for a further incident following Monday’s attack on Manchester.

NHS England has informed every hospital in England, especially the 27 that are specialise in trauma, to “prepare for a further incident” after the attack on Manchester this week. The security alert level remains at ‘critical’ implying that another attack is imminent.

This is the first time since the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008 that NHS hospital trusts have been told to prepare for the possibility of a large-scale terrorist attack.

Chris Moran, a surgeon and professor, who is NHS England’s national clinical director for trauma said: “The trauma community in Manchester has provided a tremendous response to the atrocity on Monday night and this is a credit to their dedication and clinical skills, and also the preparation that has taken place.

“You will be aware that we have a bank holiday weekend approaching. There are a number of things that all trauma units and major trauma centres can do to prepare for a further incident and I should be grateful if you could disseminate these within your network so that frontline clinicians are aware.”

The Health Service Journal, which obtained Moran’s message, reported: “The message advised surgical teams to prepare for the consequences of attacks by reviewing the early management of patients with blast and ballistic injuries, as well as advice on dealing with infections and use of antibiotics.”

In a separate letter to trusts, Anne Rainsberry, NHS England’s national incident director, advised them to review their staffing levels and supplies of blood and equipment, as well as patients who could be discharged quickly to free up beds in case an incident occurred.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Join the discussion...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Primary Care

Universities turn to Clearing as Nursing & Midwifery Applications drop by 8%

Published

on

By

UCAS figures show a drop of 8% in applications to Nursing & Midwifery courses – Universities have turned to clearing to fill gaps.

Experts are warning that there will not be enough new healthcare staff being trained to keep pace with demand as UCAS, the University Admissions Service, figures showed that there had been an 8% drop in students who had been placed into university this year compared to 2016.

Universities have been forced to offer the, usually over-subscribed, Nursing, Midwifery and Medicine subjects to students going through clearing.

The figures also reveal the number of ‘mature students’, people aged over 25, who have been placed into nursing courses has decreased by 12% since 2016.

Despite the low number of applicants the government announced 10,000 extra ‘funded’ places and an additional 21,000 mental health professionals. Figures that the Royal College of Nursing have heavily criticised.

Janet Davis, RCN Chief Executive, said;

“The longstanding pay cap is driving people away from nursing, and understaffing heaps pressure on those who are left. Most worryingly, we don’t have enough nurses to guarantee patient safety,” she argued.

“The government has promised 10,000 more health care professionals in the next five years, but we need transparency over how it intends to monitor its progress.

“We are calling on the government to publish the actual number of nursing students starting this autumn by the end of this year.”

Official figures how that admissions to Nursing and Midwifery courses have consistently fallen since the removal of the NHS Student Bursary which combined with a significant drop in EU workers could lead to a staffing crisis for the NHS.

NHS Digital revealed last month that over 11,500 Nursing and Midwifery vacancies remain unfilled in England.

Continue Reading

Primary Care

RCN supports the launch of the National Bereavement Care Pathway

Published

on

The Royal College of Nursing has announced it will be supporting the launch of the National Bereavement Care Pathway.

Led by stillbirth and neonatal death charity Sands, the pathway is designed to improve care for parents and families who have lost a baby during pregnancy or up to 12 months after the child is born.

With support from the Department of Health, the new materials, guidance and training will be trialled at 11 sites in England, who will work with the project team to evaluate how well the NBCP can improve bereavement care.

The NHS sites, which include the Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust and Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust, have been chosen to be representative of geography, capacity and specialism.

The pilot will begin in October and is supported by a variety of leading organisations from the Lullaby Trust to NHS England.

Carmel Bagness, RCN Professional Lead for Midwifery and Women’s Health, said: “The loss of a baby is an absolute tragedy and it is up to health care staff to provide the best care possible for bereaved parents and families.

“This pathway could really help to improve the care they receive during this difficult time. We hope this pilot is just the first step towards better care throughout the country for parents and families suffering from this terrible loss.”

Continue Reading

Trending