This years New Years Honours list honours registered nurses from a variety of specialisms and backgrounds.
The New Year Honours list recognises the achievements of a wide range of extraordinary people across the United Kingdom.
In the NHS’s 70th year, dozens of NHS staff have been recognised in the 2019 New Year’s Honours list, including nurses, an array of doctors, dentists, physiotherapists and other health professionals, and those who led the response to terror attacks and major incidents.
Professor Jane Cummings, who until recently was Chief Nursing Officer for England, was one of many nurses recognised.
- Susan Smith – Executive Chief Nurse of University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust.
- Rebecca Chester – Consultant Nurse and Chair, National Learning Disability Consultant Nurse Network, Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust.
- Brian Dolan – Professor of Nursing, Oxford Institute for Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Research.
- Maureen Horton – Community Staff Nurse, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Margaret Kitching – Chief Nurse, North Region, NHS England.
- Michelle Bolger – Chief Nursing Officer, Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust.
- Wendy Nicholson – National Lead Nurse for Children, Young People and Families, Public Health England.
- David Foster – Trustee, The Queen’s Nursing Institute.
- Imedla McGucken – Director, CHARIS Cancer Centre.
- Ruth Oluwatosin Oshikanlu – Ambassador for the Health Visiting Profession.
- Emma Senyard -Associate Director of Nursing for Surgery at Barts Health NHS Trust.
- Gail Powell – Senior Nurse and Professional Lead for Health Visiting, Aneurin Bevan Local Health Board.
- Angela Thompson – Director of Nursing and Deputy Regional Chief Nurse, London, NHS Improvement.
- Andrew Gritt – Service and Clinical Lead, Dorset Healthcare University NHS Foundation Trust.
- Elizabeth Bainbridge – Consultant Nurse, Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
- Kathleen Dawson – Specialist Nurse, County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust.
- Jenifer Ladd – Emergency Nurse Practitioner, Minor Injury Unit, Cardigan Hospital.
- Janine McKnight-Cowan – Queen’s Nurse, Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Foundation Trust.
- Patricia Armstrong-Child – Director of Nursing, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust.
Lord Prior, Chair of NHS England, said: “These are remarkable people doing extraordinary things for their fellow citizens.
“The NHS is a unique organisation which has won the hearts and minds of all of us for over 70 years, but its success depends wholly on the people who work in it.
“Those who have been honoured for their service this year honour us all. Many, many congratulations to them.”
The strong showing for NHS staff at both local and national level follows the Queen’s Birthday Honours earlier in the year, which saw 64 awards go to health professionals across the country, ranging from long-serving midwives to the Chief Scientific Officer, Professor Dame Sue Hill.