The 48 hour strike that was due to start at 8am on Tuesday 26th January 2016 has been called off by the British Medical Association.
The decision comes after both the Department of Health and the BMA have returned to the table to restart negotiations.
The BMA said in its statement that this action did not mean that a deal had been established.
A planned strike on Wednesday 10 February could still go ahead if the negotiations fail.
BMA junior doctor committee chair, Dr Johann Malawana, said: "The BMA's aim has always been to deliver a safe, fair junior doctor contract through negotiated agreement.
"Following junior doctors' clear message to the government during last week's action, our focus is now on building on early progress made in the current set of talks.
"On this basis, the BMA has today taken the decision to suspend the industrial action planned for 26 to 28 January, thereby giving trusts as much notice as possible so as to avoid disruption to patients.
"It is important to be clear, however, that differences still exist between the BMA and the government on key areas, including the protection of patient safety and doctor's working lives, and the recognition of unsocial hours. Significant, concrete progress will need to be made if future action, currently planned for 10 February, is to be averted."